Parish History

Ilsington Parish History

Ilsington is a predominently rural Parish situated on the eastern edge of Dartmoor in the pictureque County of Devon, in the South West of England. It is one of the largest in the county, and includes the villages of Ilsington, Haytor Vale, Liverton, Sigford and South Knighton.

The village of the same name is believed to be an ancient settlement - probably existing 200 to 300 years before the Norman Conquest. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Ilestintona, and there is known to have been a church there since at least the 11th Century. St. Michael's Parish Church, as seen today, dates back to the 15th century. It was the site of an incident which has passed into local folklore: in 1639 the schoolroom, which was above the west lychgate of the church, collapsed into the street and churchyard. 

Apart from its agricultural history, Ilsington's industrial archeology reflects the mining of the 18th and 19th centuries. The Atlas tin mine and the Smallacombe iron mine were major local enterprises - with the cottages at Lewthorne Cross being built for William Grose, the mine captain and mine workers. Nearby, at Haytor, granite was quarried and carried down to Stover on the Haytor Granite Tramway, and the remains of the miners' buildings can still be seen.Haytor granite was used in the building of many civic structures including London Bridge, over the Thames in London. The stone was carried from Haytor to the canal at Stover by the granite railway - a route now commemorated in the Templer Way footpath.

Website kindly provided by JMV Web Solutions under their community and charity website schemes. For all things IT and web related please visit JMV Solutions.

© 2018 Ilsington Parish Council. All Rights Reserved. Built by JMV Solutions